The Martin County Convent Foundation, Inc., is a nonprofit group of citizens actively working to preserve and restore this historic site. Their hope is to restore the building to its original appearance as the Carmelite Monastery and open it to the public as an interpretive center on the founding of Stanton and Our Lady of Mercy Academy. The grounds are to be landscaped into a native plant garden.
What We've Achieved
Morrissey Construction completed a recent exterior construction.
A comprehensive history of the property was completed in February 2018 for the Master Plan. The document was written using primary sources and published articles.
Three interviews on cassettes, totaling over four hours, were digitized and transcribed in October 2017. Two interviews were with Mercy Academy students that attended the school in 1927 and 1932.
The city of Stanton has committed funds from the Hotel-Motel tax for the next five years to the restoration of the monastery. This is a tremendous boost to our efforts and demonstrates board local support.
Landscape architect Jason Hodges of Prairie Workshop in Lubbock was hired after making a November 2017 site visit. Jason will provide the board with site graphics, elevations, perspectives, 3-D model of design for presentation and written narrative.
Author Jimmy Patterson of Midland has agreed to write a non-fiction historical book on the Carmelites and the Sisters of Mercy Academy in Stanton.
Guided tours are given by board members and local guides during April, June, and October Trade Days in Stanton. Grounds are open free to the public on each Saturday and Sunday, of Trade Days with hundreds visiting. Hand crafted crosses and pens are sold along with t-shirts. Each weekend, hundreds of visitors take the short walk from downtown to see and hear about the founding of Stanton.